Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meningitis: How did it changes our life....


Its the first week of April when I and my hubby decided to have a vacation at the province, since my father-in-law arrived from America(mom-in-law has a companion while we`re away), we also took our chance to visit my parents and siblings.
My mom was so surprized at the same time, so happy co`z for a year, we`ll be spending a week with them, including, they saw my little angel again. But i noticed my youngest brother. He`s not as active as before.It really bothers me so i ask my mother what`s wrong. She told me that they just went from a doctor and there`s nothing wrong with him except for a fever so its just go that way. That night we have an early dinner and still,i noticed my brother. He doesn`t have an appetite for eating considering that the meal given to him is his favorite. After we`re done, we went to the living room for a little chitchat and to watch our daughter dancing and making her grannies so delighted. They really love their granddaughter so much so they enjoy being with her every time we go there. But still, observing my brother, hes not participating to any of what we do. He`s just staring and i really wondered why. He`s used of playing with my daughter, teaching her how to draw and how to play his toys and it really bothers me more.
The next morning after we arrived, I woke up with my father`s voice crying for help and shouting that my brother`s dying. I jumped out of my bed and i saw my father so horrified. He was carrying my brother. The kid was shaking, his eyes where open but stuck only in one direction, his face`s color`s like an eggplant and blood`s coming out in his mouth. I was so shocked that i don`t even notice my husband was also standing next to me in disbelief. It`s good I manage to go back to myself and run for a spoon at the kitchen. I put the spoon on his mouth.I`m not sure in what I`m doing but it just came in my mind to do it. I had a classmate once in high school having epilepsy and every time he was attacked by it,I saw my teacher stuck a spoon on his mouth. I`m sure my brother`s not an epileptic but the attack seems the same. My mom`s not around that time seeking for a medicine for him and she arrived home so surprized and worried co`z my neighbors saw me running around the house looking for her and they tell her something`s going on at home. My mother`s face is so miserable and so worried hat she can`t decide what to do but cry. I immediately decided that we`ll bring him to the hospital. My husband went with them, he carried my brother to the hospital and he told me that my brother even peed his shorts, maybe because of the burden that he`s fighting. It was so painful for all of us to see my brother that way. He`s one of a kind. He`s not like the other kids around, bulling, playing anywhere, fighting, and spending their allowance in no means. My brother is intelligent, he`s quiet and respectful, many people in our place love him because of that. He also saves money(can you believe my mom can even borrow money from his savings?). He doesn`t ask for anything and understand situations knowing that he`s only 8 years old. Yes he`s only 8 but he`s already struggling for something, something that`s not simple and later we found out "fatal".
When they arrived to the hospital,it makes the situation worse co`z at first they can`t find out what`s wrong. My mother was so upset, how come the boy who`s unconscious can`t be sick so they have to do more tests, until they found out its a stage 3 Meningitis. He has a central nervous system infection and its not a joke. The hospital immediately request for by brother to transfer to a bigger hospital(that`s only a town hospital and lack of equipments) so that they can make a much better actions about it. Upon knowing that he was transferred, I with my husband and auntie(mom`s sister)rushed along to the hospital where he was confined. My mother was crying when we saw her, she was so hopeless co`z my brother was in a coma and she doesn`t know if he will be waking up or not anymore. I even had a fight with the guards because they won`t allow us to go inside and I was so desperate to see my brother. We went home without seeing him and upon delivering what his condition to my father, he was speechless specially when i explained what my brother`s going through.
Since my husband can`t stay long at the province(because of his work), we decided that he`ll return to Manila alone and let me and my daughter stay until my brother`s in good condition. For a week, my brother didn`t woke up, tube`s all over him and you can see his stomach so thin, so flat that it looks like there`s nothing in it. I saw my father for the first time crying in front of the image of God bargaining his life for the life of my brother. It was the most painful moment for all of us, asking for a miracle because it`s the only way my brother can survive.
A week past and for the first time, we got a good news. He was already conscious but can`t eat still and needed to undergo another test. The doctor needs to get a sample from his spinal to ensure how bad the infection was. I know how painful it is, its just good that my brother was strong enough and really fighting to survive. We found out that its a Bacterial Meningitis. He needs to undergo a year treatment for him to recover. We`re so greatful that he survived co`z they are ten on that case and only two survived, that includes him.
After three weeks, he was discharged from the hospital. We gave thanksgiving mass for the miracle that we received. I even told my brother not to be good always co`z good boys don`t stay long. Bad for me isn`t it but I mean it. I don`t want to loose any of my family. I am not yet ready. I still have so many plans for them. I want them to experience luxuries that they don`t have yet.
Now I realize, we should always give importance to anyone or anything. We can`t predict life and happenings that will come. Cherish every moment co`z we can`t say what will happen next. Now, it`s been a year since that tragedy happen and thanks to God, he`s doing fine now. If you want to say or do anything, do it now before its too late.....

No comments: